Mexico auto insurance for your drive across the border
Since U.S. liability insurance is invalid in Mexico, you’ll need proof of Mexico auto insurance for a road trip south of the border. AAA can help you get what's required through one of Mexico’s largest and most reputable insurance companies.1

Mexico auto insurance

With policies ranging from a day to a year, customize coverage to fit your needs. Choose from liability only to extended coverage for automobiles, RVs, and trailers.
Family in car
What can Mexico insurance cover?
Medical expenses
Medical expenses
Covers all occupants from a crash in the insured vehicle.
Total theft
Total theft
Loss of your entire vehicle due to theft.
Physical damage
Princess Cruises®
Vehicle damage from collisions, glass breakage and other incidents.
Civil liability
Civil liability
Protects you for bodily injury or property damages to third parties.
Bail and legal assistance
Bail and legal assistance
Professional services if you need bail bonds or legal assistance.

Optional emergency travel insurance

TravelGold covers medical emergencies and/or accidents while you’re outside of your vehicle in Mexico.3 Covered expenses may include:


  • Emergency hospitalization
  • Licensed medical physician fees
  • Ambulance services
  • X-rays and diagnostic laboratory services

Mexico auto insurance FAQ

The policy is strictly for tourists and cannot be sold to insureds driving commercially operated vehicles.  The driver must have a valid driver’s license issued by their home state or country (other than the Republic of Mexico).
  • The current registration (or a copy of the registration) for each vehicle you wish to insure
  • For rental vehicles, a rental agreement showing that the vehicle is authorized to enter Mexico
  • For leased or financed vehicles, a notarized letter of authorization from the leasing company or lien holder permitting vehicle usage in Mexico
  • For borrowed vehicles, a notarized letter of authorization from the registered owner permitting vehicle usage in Mexico
  • Private passenger vehicles (note that vehicles older than 20 years are eligible for civil liability coverage only)
  • Boats and personal watercraft while transported on a trailer
  • Pickup trucks with or without camper unit sports top or shell (values of campers, sports tops, or shells must be determined and added to the value of the pickup)
  • Street-legal motorcycles
  • Private passenger vans that hold 15 or fewer passengers
  • Motorhomes, including converted buses
  • Non-commercial trailers
  • Vans equipped for camping (house cars)
  • Vehicles that do not exceed 1.5 tons towing capacity (except for motorhomes, pickups with camper units, and vans equipped for camping)
TravelGold is excess medical insurance applicable in the event of sudden and unexpected sickness or accidents while traveling in Mexico, covering any medical emergencies and/or accidents while out of the vehicle. Injuries sustained from automobile accidents are covered by the Mexico auto policy medical expenses coverage and do not fall under TravelGold coverage.
Boats and personal watercraft are only covered while they are being transported on a trailer.
No. All coverage is excluded while the vehicle is being driven off established roads, or on roads that are not in good driving condition.

Yes, with some conditions:

  • Only street-legal motorcycles are covered. Mopeds, all-terrain vehicles, off-road motorcycles, motorcycles pulling a trailer or sidecar, and dune buggies are not covered.
  • A motorcycle driven into Mexico may only be covered for civil liability, guaranteed legal assistance and bail, and traveler’s assistance. Damage, theft, medical, and TravelGold coverage are never afforded on motorcycles driven into or in Mexico.
  • Remain at the scene with all parties involved until authorities arrive.
  • Do not accept any responsibility or make any arrangements with other parties involved.
  • Report all claims to your insurer before leaving Mexico. AAA’s Mexico broker provides a 24-hour, toll-free number for reporting claims in Mexico.
Visit the U.S. Customs and Border Protection site for travel document requirements.

1Mexico insurance policies through Grupo Nacional Provincial are strictly for tourists. Compliance with Mexican government requirements remains the sole responsibility of the insured. The Automobile Club of Southern California acts as a broker with International Insurance Group (IIG) and Grupo Nacional Provincial.


The terms and conditions of the policy may change at any time. Please refer to the GNP Policy Conditions Booklet you receive when you purchase a policy.


2Medical expenses coverage does not apply to RV’s and trailers.


3GNP policies automatically include TravelGold unless you opt out.

Zip code banner
Welcome to

AAA is a federation of independent clubs throughout the United States and Canada. Please enter your home ZIP Code so we can direct you to the correct AAA club’s website.

Enter your ZIP Code