Auto Club Mobile Application
Revised October 28, 2016
This Privacy Notice governs your use of the AAA software application on a mobile device (“Auto Club App” or “Application”) that was created by the Automobile Club of Southern California. You will need to review and accept its terms before this application can be downloaded. We want you to know how your data will be collected and used. A separate privacy notice would apply to information collected through other means including from the use of our website, AAA membership and insurance, AAA OnBoard telematics services, and affiliate partner products and services. You should consult those notices if necessary.
The Auto Club App improves on-the-go access to trusted AAA services including discounts, membership, insurance, travel, and Roadside Assistance.
Key Features Include:
- Requesting Roadside Assistance
- Searching for nearby member discounts
- Booking hotel, flight, or rental car
- Viewing upcoming trips
- Accessing TripTik® Travel Planner
- Finding cheap gas prices near you
- Finding member branch offices
- Getting traffic and road conditions for frequent commutes
- Viewing membership details and insurance policies
- Paying bills for membership and insurance
- Getting an insurance quote for auto, home, and other products, where available
- Getting instant battery replacement quotes, where available
- Finding AAA Approved Auto Repair facilities
WHAT INFORMATION DOES THE AUTO CLUB APP COLLECT AND HOW IS IT USED?
User Provided Information
The Auto Club App collects the information you provide when you download and register the application. Registration is mandatory to use the app’s basic features. When you register and use the Auto Club App, you provide:
(a) your name, email address, age, ZIP Code, username, password, and other registration information;
(b) transaction-related information, such as when you book travel (e.g., flight, hotel, or car), make purchases, respond to offers, download or use our applications;
(c) information you provide when you contact us for Roadside Assistance such as vehicle information;
(d) payment card and bank account information for membership and insurance payments and other purchases such as travel when using the application, and;
(e) information you enter into our system when using the application, such as a PIN if you select the “keep me logged in” feature.
We may also use the information you provide to contact you from time to time with important information, required notices, renewal reminders, and marketing promotions.
Automatically Collected Information
In addition, the Auto Club App may collect certain information automatically, such as:
- The type of mobile device you use
- Your mobile device’s unique device ID
- The IP address of your mobile device
- Your mobile operating system
- The type of mobile Internet browsers you use
- Information about the way you use the application
DOES THE AUTO CLUB APP COLLECT PRECISE REAL TIME LOCATION INFORMATION OF THE DEVICE?
Yes. The Auto Club App collects precise information about the location of your device by using your phone’s Global Positioning Satellite (GPS) chip. We use your location information to provide requested roadside service and for location services such as displaying nearby member discounts, the closest branch office, nearby gas stations with cheap gas, the Here to There traffic feature that uses Google Maps to display traffic information from current location to favorite destinations, the TripTik® Travel Planner mapping feature and travel planner, and the Live Parking service which displays nearby parking structures. In order to provide these location services to you, your information is shared within the AAA federation including with independent AAA motor clubs, and with other independent third-party providers.
You may at any time opt out from allowing us to access your location data by managing your preferences on your phone’s settings and choosing when to share location information through the Auto Club App. You will be given the following options:
- to never share your location information;
- to share location information only when using the Auto Club App; and
- to always share your location information even when the Auto Club App is not being used.
For more information, please see the section below titled “What Are my Opt-out Rights?”
DO THIRD PARTIES SEE OR HAVE ACCESS TO INFORMATION OBTAINED BY THE AUTO CLUB APP?
Yes. We will share your information with third parties in the ways that are described in this notice.
We may also disclose “User Provided” and “Automatically Collected Information”:
- as required by law, such as to comply with a subpoena, or similar legal process;
- when we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights, protect your safety or the safety of others, investigate fraud, or respond to a government request;
- with our service providers who work on our behalf, do not have an independent use of the information we disclose to them, and have agreed to adhere to the rules set forth in this notice.
- if the Automobile Club of Southern California is involved in a merger, acquisition, or sale of all or a portion of its assets, you will be notified via email or a prominent notice on our website of any change in ownership or use of this information, as well as any choices you may have regarding this information;
- to analytics companies as described below under the section titled “Automatic Data Collection and Advertising.”
AUTOMATIC DATA COLLECTION AND ADVERTISING
We may work with analytics companies to help us understand how the application is being used, such as the frequency and duration of usage. These companies do not collect personally identifiable information for their analysis. We do not share your information with advertisers and third-party advertising networks.
WHAT ARE MY OPT-OUT RIGHTS?
There are multiple options for users of the Auto Club App:
Stop All Information Collection by Uninstalling the Auto Club App
You can stop all collection of information by the Auto Club App by uninstalling the application. You may use the standard uninstall processes that are available as part of your mobile device or via the mobile application marketplace or network. Doing so will remove the application and its benefits.
You may at any time opt out from further allowing us to have access to your location data by managing your phone’s settings as described above.
DATA RETENTION POLICY, MANAGING YOUR INFORMATION
We will retain user-provided data for as long as you use the application and for a reasonable time thereafter. Please note that some or all of the user-provided data may be required in order for the application to function properly, and we may be required to retain certain information by law.
We do not use the Auto Club App to knowingly solicit data from or market to children under the age of 13. If a parent or guardian becomes aware that his or her child provided us information without consent, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are concerned about safeguarding the confidentiality of your information. We provide physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to protect information we process and maintain. For example, we limit access to this information to authorized employees and contractors who need to know that information in order to operate, develop or improve the Auto Club App. Please be aware that, although we make every effort to provide reasonable security for information we process and maintain, no security system can prevent all potential security breaches.
This notice may be updated from time to time for any reason. We will notify you of changes by posting the new notice. You are advised to consult this notice regularly for any changes.
By using the services, you are consenting to our processing of user-provided and automatically collected information as set forth in this notice now and as amended by us. "Processing” means using cookies on a computer/handheld device or using or touching information in any way, including, but not limited to, collecting, storing, deleting, using, combining, and disclosing information.
If you have any questions regarding privacy while using the Auto Club App, or have questions about our practices, please contact us via email at email@example.com.