Frequently Asked Questions—Auto Claims
What to expect when filing an Auto claim
Having an auto claim can be stressful, but it doesn’t have to be confusing. Understanding the claims process can help alleviate your worries and provide certainty during this stressful time.
- Get the name, address, phone number, driver’s license number, and insurance information of all parties involved
- Obtain the vehicle(s) information including the license plate
- If safe to do so, take photos of all vehicles involved at the scene of the accident
- Write down any witness or police information (if applicable)
Here are the key steps in handling your claim from start to finish:
- Gathering the facts of the accident to determine responsibility
- Explain coverage and benefits of your policy
- Arranging repairs and a rental car if your policy affords coverage
- Coordinate a tow to your shop preference if your vehicle is not drivable
Your Claims Service Representative will be with you throughout the entire Claims Process to alleviate any fears and answer any questions you may have.
You may receive correspondence from the other carrier requesting your information. This is a normal part of the claims process. Whether you should speak to them depends on your individual claim and your policy coverage. You will need to communicate with the other insurance carrier if you are seeking damages outside your Auto Club policy.
The claims process can be expedited and simplified by using your own insurance. If you have the applicable coverage, we can handle the repairs to your vehicle and provide you with an authorization to rent a vehicle. Also, if you are not primarily responsible, using your own insurance does not impact your annual premium.
Every claim is initially subject to a deductible. The deductible applies only to your insured vehicle and is payable to the repair shop or will be deducted from the total loss settlement. However, there are factors that may allow the Auto Club to waive your deductible. Your Claims Service Representative will discuss whether your deductible will apply upon completion of their investigation.
For your convenience, your Claims Service Representative can assist you by securing a courtesy insurance rate with one of our preferred rental agencies.
Yes. While you may repair your vehicle at a shop of your choice, our Member Preferred Repairs program (MPR) consists of an extensive network of AAA-approved repair shops. Our MPR shops communicate directly with your Claims Service Representative to provide expedited inspections, a high level of service, and a lifetime guarantee for the repairs to your vehicle as long as you own the vehicle. Your Claims Service Representative will assist you in making the choice most convenient for you.
If you are found to be primarily responsible for an auto accident, your rates may be affected. However, any applicable increase will not go into effect until your policy renews. The surcharge will be in effect for three years.
The State of California requires that an SR-1 form be sent to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) if the damages exceed $1,000 and/or there is an injury. Your Claims Service Representative will send the completed SR-1 form to the DMV on your behalf if necessary.
If your vehicle carries the appropriate coverage, your insurance will pay for the tow as well as reasonable storage fees charged by the tow yard. The tow is not deducted from your annual road service calls afforded by your membership. It is important to capture information regarding who towed your vehicle and where so your Claims Service Representative can assist you with recovering the vehicle and getting the claim underway.
In addition, we offer our Accident Assist program if your vehicle is disabled after an accident. Our Accident Assist program features:
- Immediate arrival at the accident scene with a AAA-branded service provider
- A simplified claim reporting process through first contact resolution
- Delivering unmatched level of safety and care to provide peace-of-mind at the roadside
- Reduction of vehicle repair time as your vehicle is delivered promptly to the repair shop
- Expedited rental vehicle delivery (if applicable)
Protecting you as our insured is our first priority. If you should receive any type of legal correspondence, please advise your Claims Service Representative. Our claims professionals are here to assist you with their expertise and guidance.
Purchasing the optional protection products from the rental agency is a personal choice. While your AAA insurance policy may transfer to the rental vehicle, the deductible may apply if a loss occurs with the rental vehicle. Optional protection products are not reimbursable.